Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Breakfast Blues | Oatmeal

Breakfast, as you all know, is the most important meal du jour. I certainly didn't believe in the hoopla till I went to a few of my morning classes hungry -- and realized that starving while trying to learn about the ins and outs of Developmental Biology or the mechanisms behind parallel circuits is not really conducive in any way. And the next time I actually went to class after a filling breakfast - ta-da! Energy and concentration galore, amazing notes, and a not a single grumble from my stomach. It was a miracle, really.

But - I'm ready for your objections. I don't have time for breakfast, you say. I don't have a meal plan to cover breakfast, you say. I don't even know what to eat, you say. Worry not, college-goer - I have the perfect solution for you. Oatmeal. Yes, you heard correctly - oatmeal. That sort of gray, bland-ish stuff that old people eat (I kid!!). However, I have discovered that oatmeal does not have to be bland or grey - it can actually be delicious, nutritious and filling at the same time. Again, a miracle, really.

During the school year, I tend to buy the pre-packaged, individual portions of Quaker oatmeal (my favorite is Walnut and Raisin), but after a little digging on the internet, I've decided to make my own oatmeal. It's quite easy to do - and in the long run, is both cheaper and healthier than the store-bought flavored oatmeal. Another added bonus - if you don't have time to make your own oatmeal, you can easily purchase it at coffee shops like Starbucks and Au Bon Pain, and at other stores as well.

Quaker Instant Oatmeal

So, here goes! Adapted from Amateur Gourmet's Sunday Morning Oatmeal.

Ingredients:
3/4 - 1 cup dry oatmeal (I used regular Quaker 1-minute oatmeal)
Milk or water 
1 cup fresh fruits (can substitute thawed frozen fruits or dry fruits)
handful of golden raisins, dried cranberries, or other dry fruits  
Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
Honey
Brown or white sugar to taste 
Handful of nuts of your choice (I prefer sliced almonds and walnuts) 



Method:
1. In a microwavable bowl, add in your dry oatmeal, and top with enough milk or water to cover completely. I prefer milk over water because it gives a creamier consistency, and is more filling than water. Add sugar (I use about 1 teaspoon), cinnamon and nutmeg.
*optional: you can throw in some of your dry fruits here too - I like my raisins to be a bit soft, so I let them cook with the oatmeal.
2. Heat for about 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave, or until oatmeal is very hot. Stir and reheat for another 30 seconds.
3. Stir well again. Top off with fresh fruits, nuts and a drizzle of honey.
4. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...